We are indebted to Peter Kent for allowing us to use these images from his collection. Peter was born here in Aston Abbotts and although he now lives some miles away he has very strong ties with the village. Both his father’s Kent family and his mother’s Simmons family were prominent for many years in Aston Abbotts.
Click images to enlarge them
A view from the corner of The Green looking towards the Abbey lodge- date unknown.
This picture - taken around 1915 - shows a visiting mission. The picture is taken with the photographer’s back to the Bull and Butcher and the chapel, on land which is now used for a line of bungalows. The man is the cap is Joseph Ernest Stranks, who was the village shopkeeper at the time.
The Green at Aston Abbotts, showing one of the two Elm trees that used to stand there
The village Cricket Team pictured in The Grove about 1950
The pupils at Aston Abbotts’ village school pictured in the early 1900s. The headmaster on the right is Mr Harrison
Another picture of Aston Abbotts’ village school - this time dating from around 1910
The school pupils in 1965/66. The Cook in white is Colin Higgs’ mother Natalie. Can you spot a current Aston Abbotts resident in the back row?
View from the Bull and Butcher towards The Green - date unknown
View towards The Bull and Butcher taken from opposite The Chapel
Straw Ricks on Lower Burston Farm built by Michael Coleman around 1955
The Ladies Club in The Church Room - 1950s
An unknown event in the 1950s
A Christmas or New Year party in The Church Room in the 1950s